Saturday, April 07, 2007

Not in the News on Easter Sunday

Response to Sunday Scribblings prompt.

The story's old, the hero looks to lose.
Designer dull and dated on the op shop shelf, this
Good News for Modern Man does not enthuse.
Alive from the dead. How does that sit?
The empty tomb, the witnesses with stubborn clues.
Good God, how we have buried it.

Euaggelion is gospel Greek for news that's glad of print.
The word extends a wounded hand, eager for my assent.
A mere micro second we've had breath to be
among the sunsets and seas. The planet’s
small. It’s only what we cannot keep, we have
to lose and by that needle's eye be taken through
the tale that tumbles death and birth. New birth
to shed the pride that outs me in the cold.
Is there a place this Easter hope to hold?

7 comments:

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

Hi Steve,

I'm hosting the Ringing of the Bards poetry carnival, April 15th. If you'd like to be included, leave a permalink to a poem here:

Carnival post

And don't forget to come back and see the carnival!

gautami tripathy said...

I enjoyed reading it for the sheer weight of words.

I do think there is hope to hold. Without hope we cannot survive...

gautami
Papa's little girl

ish said...

Thank you tiel. I will be away for the next few weeks and not always near a computer. I will visit if I can.

Thank you gautami for visiting again. I think there is hope too. It seems though that the gift must first be accepted. There are those who prefer 'the cold' . . . or will not believe that there is anything else.

Jennifer said...

The Hope of Easter in the Man of Easter. Well written, very powerful poem.

Inconsequential said...

:)

but even the cold ones enjoy your work :)

ish said...

inc. the enjoyment works very much from here in your direction too, I think you know. :-)

Thank you Jennifer. Therein lies the only hope I see.

khambagirl said...

Wow! What a great poem! Saw your name on Jennifer's blog. Check out "kamsin"'s blog -- and I think that there was one other who wrote about the Man of Easter. With over 500 eye witnesses of the resurrected man, who could NOT believe? Hope you had a wonderful Easter!!!