Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Choicest Fruit


I went down to the nut orchard

to look at the blossoms of the valley,
to see whether the vines had budded,

whether the pomegranates were in bloom.

Before I was aware, my desire set me

among the chariots of my kinsman, a prince.

Let my beloved come to his garden and eat its choicest fruits.

Song of Solomon

He lingers in her vineyard suite

to taste her pomegranate cheeks.

refresh him, refresh him with apples

She gives her cherry to the king;

The feast day of their passion sings.

sustain her, sustain her with raisins

Be gone the desert dust, the lust

the tethered apes, the gold, the musk

the elephants by slow parade

the gilded queens in masquerade.

By none of these the king is stayed.

refresh them, refresh them with apples

Her freshly budded fruit of womb

her someday seed shall scorn his tomb.

sustain him, sustain him with raisins

By parables the God who sings

the fabled fig tree bounty brings.

refresh them, refresh them with apples

No comments: